Thursday, September 21, 2017

My Chemical Romance Killjoys Ray Guns

My first tutorial is for the ray guns from the My Chemical Romance Danger Days videos. I'll start off by saying that I got the templates for these from another site (Crafting Like A Sir). They never posted their tutorial, only the templates. So I figured I would post one. I tweaked their template a little to be more to my liking. I prefer things that can be made relatively inexpensively. So, no molds/resin are required.

Supplies:
  • ½ inch sheet of MDF wood (you can also layer pieces of cardboard or foam board if MDF is out of your price range.)
  • 1 12”x18” piece of craft foam
  • 4 sheets of paper or card stock (to print template)
  • White glue
  • Spray paint
  • Acrylic paint
  • Clear acrylic sealant

Tools:
  • Jigsaw
  • Rotary sander
  • Pen knife
  • Scissors
  • Drill with 1” bit
  • Paint brush

The first step is to print out your template. You then need to cut it out. I used a pen knife to cut it out so I had a stencil, but you can use scissors to cut out the pieces to trace around. You can get the original templates HERE, or save the my edited ones below.





Once you have your template cut out, trace the gun base onto your MDF (or whichever material you choose.) Use your drill to make the hole from the trigger, then cut out the base of the gun using your jigsaw. I then use a rotary sander to smooth out any rough edges. You can use scissors or a pen knife if your base is made of cardboard or foam board.








Next, trace the rest of the templates onto your craft foam. If you will be painting your gun a lighter color ( like yellow) make sure to use a light colored foam. I made the mistake of using green foam the first time I made one of these because it was all I had, and it took several extra coats of paint to cover it.) Make sure you trace two sets of them, one for each side of the gun. Then cut them out using your scissors. To make the trigger a little more durable, I cut it out of cardboard, then glue the foam onto it.






Follow this template to glue the pieces onto your gun base.





I allow the glue to set overnight, However, you can proceed to the next step after about an hour.

Next, spray paint your gun in the color of your choice. You can paint them to look like the ones in the video, or make your own design. Use your creativity.

For this tutorial, I'm making one like Party Poison's, so I'll be painting the base yellow. Depending on the type of spray paint you buy, you may need to do a coat of primer first. I use Krylon Colormaster, which is a paint and primer in one (except for the green of Fun Ghoul's. I use Krylon Flourescent and I do use a primer with that.) Do 2-3 coats of paint.

Once the spray paint is dry (about an hour), you can start painting the detail on the gun. For Party Poison, you need black and red acrylic paint. Do the black markings first, at least two coats, then do the red. Make sure to do both sides. If you are making one like the ones in the video, you can print out the logo on the gun handle and glue it on. After gluing it in place, I spread a layer of glue on top of it too to seal it.








Last step, top coat sealant. I use Mod Podge gloss, clear acrylic sealer spray. Do 1-2 coats of this and you're done!

Here is the finished product.



I have made each of the guns from the video. All of which are for sale in my Etsy shop HERE.

Here are the other logos:




Okay, I hope this tutorial was helpful. Let me know what your like me to do next, and be sure to check out my shop for more props!


No comments:

Post a Comment